POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Mar 2004 19:22:02
Message: <MPG.1ac147e51c2d571d9899e7@news.povray.org>
In article <40577904@news.povray.org>, bdc### [at] yahoocom says...
> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
> >   I wouldn't be surprised if a future version of POV-Ray would do exactly
> > this. In fact, part of the current parser already does this: The function
> > parser/interpreter (this is the reason why functions are so fast compared
> > to eg. #macros).
>
> I always thought the reason that parsing scenes was slow had nothing to do
> with the actual parser, and everything to do with memory allocation.  I seem
> to remember reading about this in the vfaq and on this ng, but I can't seem
> to find anything on it now.

One thing that would be very helpful in byte code is 'parse once, run
multiple times'. If you are doing animation, more time is spent parsing
the damn scene in some cases than rendering. Byte code would not need to
be reparsed unless the original actually changed, so would execute much
faster and save a fair amount of time. Having to reparse it every single
time as is done now....

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()